Tuesday, August 11, 2009

my potted garden

much to my dismay, i did not inherit my momma's green thumb. growing up, i felt like all i did was pull weeds. perhaps thats why i never wanted to garden...i thought pulling weeds was all that there was. but i really do long to have a full garden one day. but this year, because of our little back deck, i decided to do a "potted garden." it seemed less intimidating and i figured if it was right off my deck then i wouldnt forget to water it. i received some heirloom tomatoes from my brother and some peppers and bought some herbs at the farmers market. and you know what, its actually thriving. I have grown probably 25 tomatoes but havent eaten a single one. but i have feed the entirefamily of squirrels that live around here. sooo frustrating. but still, it makes me happy that I know things are growing and not dying out there. although my thyme started to die this week but i did a little research and found out that they like Mediterranean climates best and need well-drained soil and lots and lots of sun. hmmmm, why didnt i think of reading about my plants ten years ago? anyway, its been an immense pleasure of mine to ask Maggie to gather me some basil, or oregano while i am cooking dinner. she loves to go out there and figure out which one she needs and ask her daddy to help her. next year: more veggies!


2 comments:

Christine said...

Aww, I love that Maggie helps you with that! Fresh basil is the BEST!

Thesupermanns said...

nice work.....keeping things alive in pots during the hot summer isnt as easy as it looks. Love you friend. One of my best friends from college is moving to St. Louis soon...wonder if you guys will be near each other....i think you guys would like each other....talk to you later about it.....

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the Morginskys blog! Our family and friends are spread across the globe and we set up this place for those that want to read about the goings on of the adventures of our family. We have lived in Nashville but are headed to St. Louis for a new chapter in our lives.