Wednesday, May 20, 2009

mind numbing

i love being a stay at home mom. i hate that title but love the job. i actually love it way more than i thought i would. i love the rhythm of my days. i love having days when i stay in my pjs all morning and fold laundry and drink 3 cups of coffee. i love seeing every new smile, new step, new phrase that my children learn. i love knowing what maggie means when she says something obscure but i know she is referring to something a friend said or some little bug that she dug up.
i also love cooking every night and tucking the kids in bed and reading or watching online tv. every day i am surprised about how much i love being a 'home-body.'
but this is also what surprised me- this life, this life that i love-its mind numbing!
there are parts of my brain that havent been stretched or seen a fire in their synapse all year. when mojo begins to talk theology at dinner my eyes glaze over. its just too hard to follow! {although i will admit, that happened before i became a stay at home mom}
i miss being engaged with life around me. pouring my life into something else besides my home. we are better people when we take care of ourselves. sleep, exercise, eating right, etc. but that also is true of taking care of the gifts God has given us. if we dont use our gifts, they slowly begin to eat away at us. Ravi Zacharis says something like, "if you ignore the gifts then the gifts will turn to bitterness."
so a few weeks ago i decided to start volunteering! i am currently filling out the {massive amounts} of paperwork for the job. there are quizzes to take and training to be had. but i am moving forward and am already filled with new energy and new excitement!
i am going to be volunteering at a hospice.... and hear me when i say, i definitely don't feel like i am gifted or have any wisdom at all to give to those that are dying. but i do know that i have been gifted with listening skills and a willingness to sometimes go into dark places with people. and quite frankly, i want to learn how to help people grieve.
i am always telling mojo that if a counselor or pastor knows how to love people and families well in the midst of the hardest life 'transitions' then that person really knows how to minister God's grace.
and i am really excited about that. i will be visiting with people that are dying and helping them "tell the story of their life"-to help them feel ready for the next phase. and i will also be counseling families in grief.
here is something i already learned in my training:
"the term hospice has its roots in the word hospitality. during the middle ages a hospice was a way station, a place for travelers to stop and rest, much like today's bed and breakfast. often religious orders established hospices at primary travel intersections so that persons on their way to religious shrines could find shelter. many times these persons were very ill and were traveling to the religious shrine in hopes of a miraculous cure. so by default, these early hospices often cared for the terminally ill."

8 comments:

Ariana said...

Go you! I love the Ravi quote and before those roots of bitterness get planted, I intend to use those gifts. Thanks for the reminder. I am overwhelmed by the amount of work caring for these little ones takes with coupled with laundry, dishes, groceries, vacuuming up dog hair... I'm searching for the rhythm of my day. Thanks for the reminder to give some of it away in a different fashion.
I admire your generous heart to work with those who grieve.

Alice said...

Well said and hooray! The get-away weekend for CCEN was about gifts this year and Matthew carefully encouraged me to foster mine, saying that he thinks I would be much more joyful if I was using the gifts God has given me. He's right.

Christine said...

That is beautiful!! I love your thoughts and wow...I bet you will have some stories to tell. What a beautiful way to volunteer your time.

Boxed wine and string cheese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Thanks for these thoughts. Even though we still get out a bit these days (with only one small one), I feel like I can already feel this mind-numbing coming on. Last week I kept feeling like I needed "mental engagement." Then I remembered that we are involved with lots of engaging people... and I got some books from the library. One is over my head, so that is fun. I love how you are using your gifts, Sharon- such an encouragement.

Thesupermanns said...

i love that your mind wont let numb-ness sink in. Or maybe its GOD living in you......i love that you are doing this.....you're a treasure.
p.s. I too hate the word "Stay-at home mom..." but love the job.

Thesupermanns said...

just got your awesome comments for the EP...thanks so much. i will think if there's a recurring theme in my songs....yall rock. Kristen did my highlights...its just one strip of hair underneath the rest..its almost all grown out....i think you should do it. you always have cool new stuff going on in your life and with your hair...love ya.

Lauren said...

so much wisdom in this post, sharon! i am so glad you are going after this....what a blessing you will be! proud of you, friend <3

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the Morginskys blog! Our family and friends are spread across the globe and we set up this place for those that want to read about the goings on of the adventures of our family. We have lived in Nashville but are headed to St. Louis for a new chapter in our lives.