Sunday, May 11, 2008

"Our House is Gone"



On the way home from my parents house today Mojo was encouraging me that we should just go ahead and move in with them now and not wait two more weeks- our house is filled with boxes and isnt that fun to be in right now. (perhaps a tivoed Laker game had something to do with him wanting to hurry back to my parents?)...I am not ready to leave our house, I replied.
And he said, "Sharon, Our house is gone."

I was never that emotionally attached to this house, as glamorous and beautiful as I thought it was. I always knew this was just a stopping place along the way and we weren't going to be here for a very long time. But nonetheless, his statement made me sad.

Once we got home and he presented me with my Mother's Day gift of Versace Sunglasses (how cool is he?), he took the babe to church and I took my hormone filled body into the oatmeal, lavender bath. I began think about the memories of this house. How we've spent most of our marriage in this place, How I labored long and hard in that bath tub with Maggie, putting up our first Christmas tree in front of the huge front stainglassed window, bringing Maggie home and making a safe and cozy resting place for her, all the neighborhood group meetings, all the parties, the bottles of wine that we shared together over pizza and watching movies (a favorite Sunday night after church ritual).
I thought about our neighbors and missing them, the conversations and the frustrations. The weekly walks to bongo and Marche. Maggie's first steps along those paths. The playdates, the dinner parties, the friends that have graced the doorway and all the laughter that filled this place.

But he was right, our house is gone. Not b/c it's filled with boxes and there is no place to sit but because our time here is done. Our season in East Nashville is coming to a close. And thats what we have to say goodbye to (our church, our family, our friends, our neighbors). There will be other houses.... or for that matter, huts or flats or duplexes-who knows? But our calling makes our home.
St. Louis-be ready.

7 comments:

MindyMac said...

Is that where you are going....St. Louis? That is where Scotty is from, and he thinks it is the greatest place in the whole world!

Sara said...

How beautiful Sharon...

Christine said...

What a bittersweet post. I'm sure it felt good to process through that - I know it's hard to leave a place you loved, but there are so many great things in store. St Louis better be ready!

The Morginskys said...

yes Mindy-we are moving to St. Louis. Matt is going to seminary there. only been there once but i LOVED it too!!! yall come visit when you visit there next!

Sarah B said...

Its interesting that you realize that your homes in the future may actually be in the form of a hut or a flat. Its so true. I think the American mindset is that you move up in your home purchases. They just get bigger and better. But, really, there is no "step down" in the Christian walk, there is only the step forward, remembering what God has done and then following Him to whatever is in the future. Its a fun adventure. Im proud that you can give up this home, because you trust there are other things more valuable...Its the journey of the Pearl of Great Price.

david, kelly & sam said...

sweet sharona. what a lovely post. i teared up with you b/c i remember how i felt when we packed up and moved to st. lou. i wasn't leaving a house that i owned or memories of a child, but all the nashville peeps and memories are priceless! :) gulf drive is freaking blessed to have you guys...i've already told 8503, 8505 & 8509 to bake you bread and bring you wine! :)

Alice said...

Also crying here...I know I keep telling you how much Evan is going to miss Maggie, which is true. I'm also going to miss her and you and Matt so much and I'm sorta just now, with this post, feeling it. Sweet friend...this time of raising our babes a few blocks from each other has been so so good.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the Morginskys blog! Our family and friends are spread across the globe and we set up this place for those that want to read about the goings on of the adventures of our family. We have lived in Nashville but are headed to St. Louis for a new chapter in our lives.