Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Lessons Learned

So the homecoming day was not as I had hoped. I had wished to have a clean house and a smiley baby and quality time with my husband. Instead he came home to this:


I woke up Monday morning to blood pouring down my face (nose bleeds thanks to pregnancy), throw up all over Maggie's crib and an awful diaper. It was a startling beginning to the week. After the phone calls to sister and mom about "Baby with the Flu" tips and after brushing my teeth and grabbing a few sips of english breakfast, I felt a little less daunted with the task of caring for pukey baby. It got worse and worse as the day went on and I had the full-immersion into Life as Mom. (ie. getting thrown up on about 20 times, literally).
My sweet friend brought by Pedialite for Maggie to stay hydrated; although she was only allowed to have a few sips at a time and even that didnt stay down.
Then half way through the day, my other sweet friend brought me a bagel and a latte and things were looking up. I had been so busy changing sheets, changing maggie's clothes, changing my clothes and getting thrown up on; that I hadnt had time to eat or grab some caffefine. The latte gave me the urge to carry on and love this little child.
But as Mojo's flight kept getting delayed my tiredness began to creep in. Then I thought of 3 things that gave me some welcomed and needed perspective.
1) I have a new found respect for women's whose husband are in Iraq. They not only have to do the duty of single parenting and bare the brunt of flu and illness all by themselves, but they have the added worry that their husbands could die. A plane delay was no biggie.
2) It took me until 2pm to pray and then it was spurred on by being covered with puke. It was easier to put trust in the energy from a latte then to ask the Father for some help and wisdom. That kinda needs to be the first thing I do when my babies get sick and not have it be that far into things. It was the real refresher of the day.
3) I realized that perhaps this might be the only time that I can give this much attention to Maggie while she has the flu. Most likely, the next time, I'll have one or more around my feet and I wont be able to hold her the entire day. It made me feel glad to have this time to hold a towel beneath her mouth and rub her hair as she got scared from all the throwing up. So plane delays were okay, changing clothes for the 10th time were fine... I was able to hold my baby while she was sick.

And who wouldnt want to hold that precious baby?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I just love you! (Oh, and I sent an email)

Sara said...

I wish I could be there to bring you lattes, and bagels, and other good things. I am praying for you. That last picture of Maggie is so sweet. I have never seen her sad like that.:(

Christine said...

That might be the only blog I've ever read with puke and latte in the same sentence. I'm so sorry to hear about your day! Sweet lil Maggie.

Lainey Bug and John Stanley III said...

Poor thing (Maggie AND you!). Thankfully, sicknesses that bad don't happen every day. Next time, it will be TWO to tend to because when one gets it, the other is about half an hour behind!! AHH! I hear you when you said that you put your trust in caffeine before going to the Lord. I see myself going to so many other coping mechanisms first and when I'm at the end of my rope, THEN I'll pray. But it is so good when you're finally at that place, out of your own resources, and find His grace in your time of need. Thanks for the reminder. I sure hope she's better by now. John Stanley is 18 months old today which means Maggie will be 18 months in 2 days. Hard to believe. Happy half birthday to Mags.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the Morginskys blog! Our family and friends are spread across the globe and we set up this place for those that want to read about the goings on of the adventures of our family. We have lived in Nashville but are headed to St. Louis for a new chapter in our lives.